I was looking for some easy stir fry chicken dishes. I wanted a recipe like Filipino adobo that is ready by 20 minutes tops. When I saw this recipe from Simply Scratch, I thought, this is a kind of tedious but let me try.
Here are some changes I had to make:
- I don’t know what a low sodium tamari is so I used low sodium Kikkoman soy sauce.
- I don’t have a hand held grater so the ginger was finely chopped instead of grated.
- I ran out of chili paste so I used Sriracha sauce but I used twice as much.
- I did not have kosher salt so I used regular table salt.
- The oil that I used for frying is canola oil.
- I used red onion instead of yellow onion. I cook Indian food half of the time and Indian food uses red onion a lot so I never buy yellow onion.
- I didn’t have broccoli so I skipped that. I think it would have looked more authentic with the broccoli.
It took me one hour and a pile of dishes to finish cooking. I like that I finally learned how Chinese does stir fry chicken but the recipe can use more salt and chili.
I will try this again next time using chili paste. I think it would make a whole lot of difference.
I would have wanted it to have more salt and more chili hot flavor as what I made was a little too bland for my taste.
Don’t blame the recipe maker, I made a lot of changes to this recipe.